Tuesday, September 05, 2006

sorry...or your welcome

Hey everybody. Sorry that it's been a long time (which is something that should start out every blog unless you'd rather not have to read some odd thoughts from a red headed, freckled, Chralie-Brownish, boyish man).
July was the last time for me to even recognize that I operated a blog. That's just too long. I want to synopsize my last, oh god, two months without being too long about it. Numbering has worked in the past so let's try it again...
1) I was able to go to Lollapalooza at the begining of August. That was almost too much fun. Here's some pictures of some really cool artists.
*Uncle E. of The Eels, Jack White of the Raconteurs, the wonderful Feist, the Flaming Lips, and Jeff Tweedy of Wilco.


2. My very, very good friend, Sarah, was going to be able to have experimental eye surgery at the University of Florida at the beginning of August. Others with different but similar conditions as hers have had drastic improvement or have been completely cured. Unfortunately, budgetary funding in all areas except defense, homeland security, Congressional, and Executive funding to make up for tax cuts for the extremely rich and pay for the current war in Iraq, therefore, Sarah will not be able to have any type of operations or treatments. Another unfortunate part of this happenstance is the fact that Sarah's condition is causing her to progressively lose the little sight that she does have. Frustration does not begin to explain what she and her parents are going through and have conveyed to me. I now know the way in which the Congressional budget and appropriations processes work, so I've been working with Sen. Tom Harkin's speechwriter, Jim Whitmire, in order to get information about the work of the doctors at the University of Florida, the treatments, the condition, and Sarah.

3. I've moved back to Ames and begun school again. This is my senior year. What, exactly, will follow this year is a bit of a jumble floating in the air. I will take the G.R.E. and fill out applications for graduate schools and careers. Despite the unknown, the semester is going well. Classes are going pretty well. I was in front of class on Thursday explaining, according to Irving Janus' theory of Groupthink, the difference between how the Bay of Pigs fisaco and the Cuban Missile Crisis victory. My professor in this class decided to make the points I was making by cutting me off on my way to said points...twice. A bit frustrating, but it has the makings of an interesting class. Then the rest of the classes...........

4. I just turned 22 years old yesterday--Labor Day. Hopefully I haven't made it through a fourth of my life yet, though if I have, I'd be ok with the whole idea. I'm more a student of the idea of quality years than living to 167. The idea of myself as an elderly man in an intriguing. Will my personality change? Will the Earth still exist? Will there be a second coming of a Moses, Jesus, or Mohammed figure? I'm 22. I'm a long way from elderly. I'm going to live in today for today.

Looking forward to...

Great M-Shop schedule, Lots of Cyclone football wins (hopefully not fourth-quarter losses), Fantasy Football!!!!

Speaking of fantasy football, I need everybody to help me name my team this year. Two years ago, my first year, I had the generic "All Ames" name given to my team. Last year I chose "Giggity Giggity". This year is completely open. I don't promise that I will use a suggestion, but I've been drawing a blank for weeks, so let's hear them. Thanks.

*****Solemn promise--I will blog before it reaches the over-six-week mark again. Thanks for reading. You're all wonderful. Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Happy late birthday!

9/08/2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger Aeryk said...

How about a team name of: Macaca Squad?
...
Or Macaca Squid?
...
Either or.

9/13/2006 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home